Your braces will be a part of your smile for a long time, so why not have a little fun with them? Switch-up your elastic colours every time you visit your Surrey orthodontist for an adjustment, and watch your smile transform! Here are few tips on how to pick which colour to choose next.
How Your Braces Change Colours
Your braces consist of different parts that all play a unique role in straightening your teeth. One of those important parts is the elastic tie bands.
Orthodontic tie elastics (sometimes called ligatures) go around your brackets to hold the archwire in place within the bracket slot.
After some time your ligature elastics will lose their stretchiness, which is why your orthodontist will change them for new elastics at each of your braces adjustment appointments. Your adjustment appointments are when you get your chance to change up your smile by choosing a new colour, or colours, for your braces.
Tie elastics are available in a rainbow of colours from silver (to match your brackets) to bright and flashy pinks, blues and greens. Changing elastic colours allows you to change the look of your braces every time you visit us.
Tips for Choosing Your Next Braces Colour
Not sure which colour(s) you should choose? The following tips offer some advice that may help you to decide.
- It's a good idea to avoid brown, black and some shades of green since these can make it look like you have food stuck in your teeth.
- White isn't typically a great colour to choose because it can make your teeth appear yellow.
- Have a favourite colour? Go for your fav!
- Sports fan? Pick the colours of your favourite sports team and flash that smile every game!
- Love your school? Deck your smile out in your school colours to show your loyalty.
- Feel self-conscious about your braces? Go for a colour that shows off your complexion or compliments your eye colour.
- Go for the colours of the season; red and green for Christmas, orange and black for Halloween, or pink and red for Valentine's day.
Still having trouble making up your mind? Remember that you will have lots of adjustment appointments throughout your orthodontic treatment, so if you aren't thrilled with the colours you picked today, don't worry, in a few days you'll be able to swap them out for a different colour.
If you have questions about your braces, or your next adjustment appointment contact our team at Guildford Orthodontics. We're here to help you smile more confidently.