Having your braces adjusted is an important part of your orthodontic treatment. Here's a little on what to expect when you visit us to have adjustments done to your braces.
Orthodontic braces move your teeth gradually and incrementally into the desired position. In order to do this, your braces will need to be adjusted ever so slightly at fairly frequent intervals.
Here’s what you can expect when you visit Guildford Orthodontic Centre for an adjustment appointment:
- To begin, the orthodontic assistant will remove the elastics which hold the brackets to the arch wire.
- Next, we will remove the archwire.
- Once the archwire has been removed your orthodontist will examine your teeth to determine how your treatment is progressing. If any parts of your braces need to be replaced it can be done at this point.
- Now, your archwire and new elastics can be put in place. This might be somewhat painful if it's your first time, but rest assured that it will be less painful in the future.
- If your archwire is poking you in the mouth tell your orthodontist straight away. The orthodontist or the assistant can shorten it with clippers to prevent any irritation.
- That's it! Now all you need to do is book your next adjustment appointment.
After your braces have been adjusted it's not unusual to feel a little sore. Any discomfort you feel should wear off after a few days. In the meantime, it may help to ice your face periodically, or take an over-the-counter painkiller. It's best to eat soft foods until you're feeling a little less sore.